For years I longed to become a Certified Coach and develop a combination of professional and personal skills to help others unlock and reach their greatest potential. As I mentioned on one of our June posts, I am currently training to be a Certified Professional Coach with the University of Miami, an Accredited Program by the International Coach Federation (ICF).
To my surprise, on our first day of Coaching school, I realized I was going to be the one who would benefit the most from this program in my personal life and relationships.
Still, my main goal with this Certification is to share this gift with you.
That is why I am thrilled to tell you my learnings of the first practical module: Hearing Deeply.
What has changed about how I listen to others?
What has changed about how I listen to others is my own awareness of the way I listen. I always thought I was a big listener considering the time that I dedicate to listen to others and their willingness to talk to me, but I never realized I was not a good listener, I was not intentional in my listening.
Thanks to this class, I want to listen as I have been listened to, therefore I am working on goals in deep hearing, starting with the following steps to achieve them:
- Stop multi-tasking and immerse myself in the conversation, being quiet and present.
- Being conscious about not interrupting the speakers.
- Observing without judgment, assumptions, and respecting the point of the speaker while honoring them with my whole listening.
- Not bringing up my experiences, offering a shortcut solution or unsolicited advice.
- Allowing silence to be part of the conversation and even embracing it as an answer.
- Becoming an accomplice and confidant in my conversations.
- Understanding that most of the time the person only needs to be heard and that itself helps.
On a positive note, I realize that coming from a place of gratitude, I am developing a sensor that notices opportunities for reinforcement, encouragement, celebration, and triggers mindful questions.
I am looking forward to a new kind of conversation and achieving a real communication exchange, based on the hearing deeply skills that I will continue to practice as a listener.
If you would like to give Coaching a try, I am offering a complimentary 30-minute call to meet and decide if we would be great partners! Please contact me to schedule your call! And if there’s anyone in your life who might benefit from Coaching, please forward them this email. I thank you in advance and they will thank you later!
How do you like to be listened to? Is that how you listen?
I’d love to hear from you in the comments!